Finally my design is done! First pattern constructed all by myself, yeey! This jacket has been quite a struggle, but I think it turned out quite nice. Sewing to me always has a steep learning curve and this project is no different.
As you probably remember I’m not too happy about the weight and structure of the green fabric, I would have preferred a thicker, denser wool for more structure. But hey – I guess this one is a fancy sweater or a light spring coat. I’m such a huge fan of scallops, especially as closure on a jacket.
I’m quite happy with how the hem detail looked in the end, and I think the buttons complemented it well.
I lined the coat with a cheap poly taffeta I found at Stoff & Stil, and I think it worked quite well to give the thin wool boucle some more body. The lining is open at the hem and attached with swing tacks.
I think welt pockets are beautiful, and it’s worth the extra time to make them!
Raglan has such a fun shape, and I like oversized arms a lot! They drape nicely and have a very 60’s vibe. I made them a little shorter than usual (like they did in the 60’s) to show the wrists.
I think my next sewing project is going to be a little easier, not so much details. I go mad when I spend months finishing a garment. I’m impatient that way I guess. But I’m going to use this proto for something exiting, I’ll let you know soon enough. Remember to check out Prototype development part 1, and Prototype development part 2 to see the whole process.
Pics by Martin Tuft Torvund
Prototype development In late october I moved my studio back into the apartment. We had a spare room which wasn’t really being used for anything, and I found that I wanted to spend more time sewing. I spent a lot…
Blue Fashion Challenge 2017 at the Faroe Islands I’ve just returned from an absolutely amazing experience at the Faroe Islands. I participated in The Blue Fashion Challenge from the 21st to 28th of August in Torshavn. The event – which…