Prototype development part 2: A distressing tale

iben-bergstrøm-a-fashion-and-sewing-blog-makingaprototype-sewing-boucle-fabric-bounded-buttonhole

Prototype development part 2: A distressing tale

Since the last post I’ve been working on this coat a lot. Before I explain how I proceeded any further, I really have to underline that sewing can be so frustrating! Unfortunately you learn (from my experience) the most from your mistakes and not by doing things right. Below is a rough draft of the coat without collar, facing and lining.

iben-bergstrøm-a-fashion-and-sewing-blog-makingaprototype-sewing-boucle-fabric

The fabric

Well, I was going to make a winter coat. As you can see from the picture this has turned into more of a loungewear item! It’s simply due to the fact that I bought this wonderful wool bouclè fabric many years ago (before I knew anything about fabric weight and structure), and in my mind it was thick enough to function as a coating fabric. How wrong can I be! In addition this fabric is very loosely woven, so it stretches – A LOT! But I really like the color, so I best make it work like Tim Gunn says.

iben-bergstrøm-a-fashion-and-sewing-blog-makingaprototype-sewing-boucle-fabric-front-closure

Bounded buttonholes

Never ever start working on bounded buttonholes when you are angry or stressed! I did and the result tells the tale. There are an abundance of techniques for doing this, and I chose one which didn’t go well with the loosely woven, fraying bouclè. I chose a different technique for the hem finish on the sleeves which worked better. Let’s say I hope the buttons cover them up a bit!

iben-bergstrøm-a-fashion-and-sewing-blog-makingaprototype-sewing-boucle-fabric-welt-pocket

Welt pockets

I think I managed to make the welts quite well, but then I ruined it by pressing the front of the coat without a pressing cloth. As you can see the fabric is a bit faded. Oh dear!

iben-bergstrøm-a-fashion-and-sewing-blog-makingaprototype-sewing-boucle-fabric-inverted-pleat

Inverted pleat

The only thing that went somewhat according to plan was the inverted back pleat! I think it turned out ok!

Until next post

Now I have a serious challenge with the under collar, because the pattern I made was to small after I applied fusible interfacing. Due to the stretch nature of the fabric the whole neckline shifted and that calls for a larger collar. After I fix this I sew on the facing and start the lining!

Do you like this post? If you do please let me know in the comment field below so I can write some more!

Prototype development part 2: A distressing tale

Prototype development part 1

Prototype development part 2: A distressing tale

The beginning of something very special

Newer post

There is one comment

Post a comment

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: API requests are being delayed. New posts will not be retrieved.

There may be an issue with the Instagram access token that you are using. Your server might also be unable to connect to Instagram at this time.

Error: API requests are being delayed for this account. New posts will not be retrieved.

There may be an issue with the Instagram access token that you are using. Your server might also be unable to connect to Instagram at this time.

Error: No posts found.

Make sure this account has posts available on instagram.com.

Click here to troubleshoot